|Published:||Sep 27, 2013 8:00 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 27, 2013 8:00 AM EDT|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - School officials in Jacksonville have fired a physical education teacher who is accused of punching a middle school student in the face.
The Florida Times-Union (http://bit.ly/1h7Sxor ) reports Michael Louis Green was fired earlier this month. He was arrested following and a hearing is set for Oct. 3.
According to school district documents, Green hit the female student with his fist after she pushed him in the chest.
Superintendent Nikolai Vitte called the incident "excessively egregious" and says the district move that day to have Green fired.
He says there has to be a "zero-tolerance policy on hitting students."
Investigators say Green was trying to remove a student who was cursing and shouting at another teacher from the gym.
The student had no significant injuries and is back in school.
- Woman at center of infamous killing set free
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- So. Fla. US Rep. Garcia joins 24 immigration fast
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- Deputies arrest student accused of bringing knife to school