|Published:||Sep 27, 2013 8:00 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 27, 2013 8:00 AM EDT|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - School officials in Jacksonville have fired a physical education teacher who is accused of punching a middle school student in the face.
The Florida Times-Union (http://bit.ly/1h7Sxor ) reports Michael Louis Green was fired earlier this month. He was arrested following and a hearing is set for Oct. 3.
According to school district documents, Green hit the female student with his fist after she pushed him in the chest.
Superintendent Nikolai Vitte called the incident "excessively egregious" and says the district move that day to have Green fired.
He says there has to be a "zero-tolerance policy on hitting students."
Investigators say Green was trying to remove a student who was cursing and shouting at another teacher from the gym.
The student had no significant injuries and is back in school.
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend