|Published:||Sep 25, 2013 1:02 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 26, 2013 10:40 AM EDT|
NORTH FORT MYERS, Fla.- Lee County deputies have arrested Keneth Wood as a suspect in the beating of 75-year-old North Fort Myers man.
The 55-year-old has two prior arrests in Lee County, both for battery charges. Wood was arrested for felony batter just hours after several Crime Stoppers tips were received identifying hom as the attacker. He was booked into the Lee County Jail shortly before 11:00 p.m., where he is being held without bond. He was also charged with property damage, for smashing the victim's cell phone, which prevented him from calling 911 for assistance.
Deputies say on the morning of September 9th, the 75-year-old victim and his wife were washing clothes at the Coin Laundry, located at 50 Pine Island Road, when Wood allegedly approached the couple, and instructed them not to use a dryer that he wanted to use later, stating that it was “his” dryer.
Officials say the victim exchanged words with Wodd, who proceeded to forcefully push the senior citizen to the ground, and kick him several times. When the victim attempted to call 911, the suspect took the man’s phone and smashed it onto the ground before leaving on foot. The victim was able to seek help at a neighboring business for injuries sustained in the fall.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment