|Published:||Sep 25, 2013 11:31 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 25, 2013 11:31 AM EDT|
SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) - A judge in Sarasota has set a trial date for a couple accused in the abuse death of an autistic child.
Circuit Judge Frederick Mercurio said Tuesday the trial will begin Feb. 3.
Melissa Stoddard was 11 when authorities say she died of a lack of oxygen to the brain. Prosecutors say the girl had been tied and forced to sleep on a plywood board, her mouth duct-taped shut before her death last year.
Attorneys say their clients are innocent. Stepmother Misty Stoddard faces first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse charges while Kenneth Stoddard is accused of aggravated child abuse.
The Sarasota Herald-Tribune (bit.ly/16qD8QM ) reports the child lived North Carolina with her mother in North Carolina until 2012 when she moved to Florida because an older sibling was abusing her.
Information from: Sarasota (Fla.) Herald-Tribune, http://www.heraldtribune.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Alamo gun range set to open in February in Naples
- Toddler apparently drowned in canal
- Woman charged with DUI, crashing into school bus
- New marina, dry boat storage facility in Cape Coral
- Grace Church's worm farms help students with special needs