|Published:||Sep 17, 2013 5:28 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 17, 2013 5:28 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - A South Florida woman was killed when authorities say a suspect fleeing police crashed into a car she was riding in.
Miami-Dade police say 55-year-old Monica Patterson died Monday afternoon. The Miami Herald (http://goo.gl/FVE27w ) reports that the 51-year-old woman driving the car Patterson was riding in was taken to a local trauma center in critical condition.
Police say robbery intervention detail detectives were patrolling a southwest Miami-Dade neighborhood when they spotted a suspicious SUV. As detectives approached the vehicle, the driver reportedly sped off, out of the detectives' view. The detectives reported hearing a loud crash several moments later.
Witness said the suspect ran a stop sign before the crash. Police are still searching for the suspect, who ran away.
Officials say detectives were not chasing the suspect when the crash occurred.
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Snitch Stoppers 239 founder arrested on drug charges
- SB I-75 reopens after dump truck hit overpass
- Naples man claims coworker set him on fire
- Lehigh double murder suspect who fled will return to SWFL
- Fire breaks out at home where search warrant was served
- Soldier surprises his children in time for Christmas
- FMPD makes arrest in Fifth Third Bank robbery
- Surveillance camera catches Citgo robbery suspect in the act
- Head-on collision blocks part of Vanderbilt Beach Rd.
- iGeneration Charter School in Immokalee shuts down