|Published:||Sep 15, 2013 10:36 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 15, 2013 10:36 AM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Church members gathered at Lee Memorial Hospital Saturday, after news that one of their vans traveling through Lee County blew a tire, and flipped on the interstate.
The accident sent 16 people to the hospital. One person died in the accident and several others suffered serious or critical injuries. The victims range in age from 2 to 62 years old.
Church member Yoner Valnyr says, "it's a tragedy that can happen to anybody so we are just here to show some support. It was a shock to us, one of our young people passed away."
16 members of Maranatha Church were traveling from Lauderhill to Tampa, for a Seventh Day Adventist Conference at the Center for Manifestation, but they never arrived at their destination. 20-year-old Nostra Damas, a member of the youth choir, died in the accident.
Pastor Henoc Paulicin was at Lee Memorial comforting and praying with families. He says, "we are a family and so we grieve we wanna express our sadness to the family of those who have experienced loss. Some people are very doing okay, we have some people just very distraught because of the accident."
Other church members are making their way to Lee Memorial Hospital and Gulf Coast Medical Center, offering their condolences and support. A 2-year-old was also taken to Tampa General Hospital.
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community
- FMB holds election for Town Council members