|Published:||Sep 12, 2013 11:40 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 12, 2013 5:21 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla. - New smartphone technology that's all about keeping kids safe. Homeland Security is launching a new app designed to help track down sexual predators.
When you download this app, one of the first things you can see is a list of fugitives the Department of Homeland Security is looking for. On that list is 65-year-old Jeffrey Dinkle. He was last seen right here in Fort Myers.
It's called Operation Predator.
"You can report a crime if you have information about a sexual predator, you can file a report through the phone or you can file it online," says Brendan Quigley with the Deaprtment of Homeland Security.
The goal is to help investigators be able to take action more quickly by collecting anonymous tips from the public. The Department of Homeland Security is also using the app to give you information.
"We might provide a picture then people will see the picture and say, hey I recognize something in that picture that could help us lead to the identity of this person," he adds.
Investigators are hoping this app will help them track down 65 year-old Jeffrey Dinkle. The Fort Myers resident was indicted for possession of child pornography back in May of 2007. He was last spotted right here five year ago.
"We haven't seen him since... he alluded capture before we could arrest him... most of our cases are solved from tips and leads that are provided from the public," Quigley adds.
The free app is only available on apple products. You can find it on itunes or at Apple's app store. You just search for ICE and Operation Predator. ICE plans to make the app available to other smartphones in the future.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- 3 Miami-Dade officers shot, 2 suspects killed
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU