|Published:||Sep 11, 2013 4:07 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 11, 2013 4:07 PM EDT|
POMPANO BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A Broward Sheriff's deputy has life-threatening injuries after crashing his cruiser into a tree as he traveled south on Interstate 95 in Pompano Beach.
Officials say the crash occurred at 6:16 a.m. Wednesday while 32-year-old Deputy Daniel Rivera was heading to work. Rivera is assigned to the Pompano Beach district of the Broward Sheriff's Office. He is a 10-year veteran of the department.
The sheriff's office says Rivera was in critical condition at Health North.
It was not immediately known what caused the crash. The southbound lanes of I-95 were closed for more than two hours while authorities investigated and cleared the scene.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- Cape Fire Station 2 closes for repairs due to mold
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- An iconic ship gets a chance to set sail on a new voyage
- Post Office offers help on Sundays
- Man catches dog thief in the act
- Ft. Myers woman reflects on Mandela, growing up in S. Africa
- Edcational app making the grade in Lee County Schools