|Published:||Sep 09, 2013 4:16 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 09, 2013 4:56 PM EDT|
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla.- A Port Charlotte man is under arrest after he found his dog dead in his home. Mark Kidd faces charges of animal abandonment.
In March, Animal Control checked Kidd's home several times after a neighbor called saying his dog looked neglected. While officers could hear the dog barking inside, they were not able to get in touch with the owner. After one of their checks, Kidd arrived home and found the animal dead.
"We believe that the dog died a slow death inside of the house. Again, we don't know when the exact day of the death was. If we'd had better and more credible information earlier, maybe we could've gotten in earlier to get the dog, but we didn't have that. We have to work with what we got," said Lt. Brian Jones of Charlotte County Animal Control.
Investigators said the dog had been sick for a while, and that Kidd knew this, but did not get the animal treatment.
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday
- Redmond HIV case could be thrown out under Fla. law
- SAO drops grand theft charge against fmr. commissioner
- APNewsBreak: Fla. congressman lost $18M in scheme
- Girlfriend wants charges dropped against Zimmerman
- Realtors and police warn of rental fraud hitting SWFL
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end