|Published:||Sep 09, 2013 1:38 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 09, 2013 1:38 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Cape Coral Police are investigating a traffic crash that resulted in one fatality and one serious injury on Saturday. It happened just before 12:30 a.m. near 5600 Rose Garden Road.
Police say an unidentified white male was driving an unknown sports car. He died on the scene, during the traffic crash.
Susan Reynolds, 28, of Lehigh Acres, was riding with him and suffered life-threatening injuries.
The vehicle was traveling north on Rose Garden Road and lost control while the roadway curved. The car rotated counter-clockwise and drove into the median where it struck a tree, directly into the rear of the vehicle. Due to the impact, the vehicle caught on fire. The driver was unable to exit the vehicle and was pronounced dead on scene. Reynolds was removed from the vehicle by bystanders, and rushed to Lee Memorial Hospital.
Reynolds suffered burns over more than 65 percent of her body and was sent as a trauma alert to Tampa General Hospital.
The Medical Examiner's Office will be performing an autopsy on the driver to assist with identification. It may take days or even weeks to positively identify him.
It is unknown if alcohol/drugs were involved in this traffic crash.
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- Men called heroes after pulling man from Golden Gate lake
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Chiquita Lock changes operating hours for the holidays
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game