|Published:||Sep 08, 2013 4:21 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 09, 2013 1:30 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - One person was killed and two others were injured after being hit by a vehicle just before 11:00 p.m. on Saturday.
Fort Myers Police responded to a crash involving three pedestrians near the intersection of Fowler and Willard Streets. Police learned that the three pedestrians had been at a party. Albertine Sherrod, 44, left the party, which was on Royal Palm Avenue and ran towards Fowler Street. Two relatives, Leroy Sherrod-Ivy, 24, and Rodney McMillian, 28, caught up with Albertine Sherrod on Fowler Street where she had passed out in the roadway.
While Sherrod-Ivy and McMillian were trying to pick her up and off the road, all three were hit by a Cadillac Escalade. Albertine Sherrod suffered fatal injuries. Sherrod-Ivy and McMillian remain in the hospital.
Investigators say drugs and alcohol played a role in the crash involving the pedestrians. No charges have been filed against the driver of the Cadillac Escalade.
- FGCU one win away from NCAA Tournament appearance
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- Search continues for missing spring breaker
- Fla. teen shot by grandfather during argument
- Suspected police impersonator was fed agent
- Cape Coral firefighters investigating trash compactor fire
- Gay-straight club lawsuit to be move forward
- Judge: tainted evidence not enough to free inmate
- Obama to promote education agenda at Miami school