|Published:||Sep 08, 2013 4:21 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 09, 2013 1:30 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - One person was killed and two others were injured after being hit by a vehicle just before 11:00 p.m. on Saturday.
Fort Myers Police responded to a crash involving three pedestrians near the intersection of Fowler and Willard Streets. Police learned that the three pedestrians had been at a party. Albertine Sherrod, 44, left the party, which was on Royal Palm Avenue and ran towards Fowler Street. Two relatives, Leroy Sherrod-Ivy, 24, and Rodney McMillian, 28, caught up with Albertine Sherrod on Fowler Street where she had passed out in the roadway.
While Sherrod-Ivy and McMillian were trying to pick her up and off the road, all three were hit by a Cadillac Escalade. Albertine Sherrod suffered fatal injuries. Sherrod-Ivy and McMillian remain in the hospital.
Investigators say drugs and alcohol played a role in the crash involving the pedestrians. No charges have been filed against the driver of the Cadillac Escalade.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash