|Published:||Sep 05, 2013 10:50 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 05, 2013 11:12 PM EDT|
BONITA SPRINGS, Fla -- A waterspout formed Thursday afternoon near Bonita Beach and soon after dozens of people posted incredible pictures on the WINK News Facebook page.
WINK News spoke exclusively to some of the people who saw the whole thing including a man on vacation who shot very compelling video.
Pure adrenaline rushed through Albert Landry as he ran out to the beach to see what the buzz was all about. He landed Thursday in Southwest Florida and his first stop was Bonita Beach.
"I saw a bunch of people over there with their video recorders out and I went over and I looked over and holy crap I got mine out and started recording," says Landry.
Visiting Southwest Florida from New Hampshire, it was like nothing he'd ever seen before. "It looked like a tornado was sucking water up out of the ocean," says Landry.
His first thought was, "I hope it doesn't come to the beach."
More than a dozen photos poured into our newsroom from all over North Naples and Bonita Springs. "It was almost like a movie like this is awesome so I started capturing pictures of it on my phone and then started face booking them," says Gina Perez of Bonita Springs.
Zaida Valadez snapped this shot from Quail West, about 6 miles away from the water spout. "The first thing that went through my mind was where is my professional camera? Because I'm a photographer but yeah I I just took my iPhone and took a picture."
And while the sight was incredible, these people admit it was also scary. Perez says, "I was a little concerned. I thought is there going to be another one? Is it going to be a tornado? Is the funnel cloud going to start coming my way?"
The initial call that came into the Sheriff's Office was that a possible tornado had touched down. It turned out to be a funnel cloud that turned into a waterspout.
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- Holiday event fundraises for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- 2 dead after shooting at Miami barbershop
- Panther found dead of suspected gunshot wound
- Man who gave abortion drug to be sentenced
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- Attendance up at 2013 Art Basel in Miami Beach
- Report: Access to voting in Fla. varies by county
- FIU hosts meeting on deteriorating bridges