|Published:||Sep 04, 2013 10:09 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 04, 2013 12:34 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Cape Coral Police Detectives have arrested Jonathan Baer Edwards, 30, on charges of Attempted Murder stemming from a shooting last Saturday night.
On Saturday, Cape Coral Police began investigating a shooting incident that left Jamar Martin, 20, in critical condition. Jamar and another man were traveling in a car when they pulled into a car port at 505 SW 47th Terrace.
A suspect got into the back seat of the car and pulled a handgun on the driver and Martin. The suspect fired the gun several times, striking Martin twice. The driver exited the car and fled on foot as well as the shooter. Martin stumbled to Cape Coral Parkway and flagged down a motorist who called police.
After a composite sketch was released, police began receiving multiple tips identifying Edwards as the shooter. One of the tips placed Jonathan Baer Edwards in the area of the shooting at the same date and time of the incident. He was seen driving away from the scene in a reckless manner, even hitting bushes as he drove away damaging his car. An eye-witness identified Edwards as the shooter from a photo line-up.
On September 3rd at 8pm, Edwards was observed running a stop sign by officers. During a traffic stop, a Police K9 alerted to narcotics in his car. Edwards was arrested for possession of drugs without a prescription and transported to Cape Coral Police Headquarters for questioning about the shooting. Edwards’ car had scratches and damage consistent with striking bushes, as described by the anonymous tipster.
Jonathan Baer Edwards was placed under arrest for Attempted Murder and taken to the Lee County Jail, where he is currently being held without bond.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Man who lost leg to propeller unable to reach settlement
- Five years fatality free: Florida set to break gator record
- Sun-N-Fun Lagoon opens for Collier schools' winter break
- Templeton Shootout drives millions into Naples economy
- House to tackle flood insurance rate hikes
- FWC reports 20th panther mortality for 2013