|Published:||Sep 04, 2013 1:38 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 04, 2013 6:07 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Almost two dozen Cape Coral businesses will have to boil water after a pipe burst earlier Wednesday morning. A contractor accidentally hit the pipe near Backstreets Sports Bar.
The city had to shut off water along a section of Southeast 47th Terrace, in between Vincennes Boulevard and SE 9th Place.
Wednesday's work turned the front of Backstreets Bar into a construction zone of mud and water.
"I had to go through mud to get in here, and I was afraid, I had to walk way around. We probably wouldn't have stopped here had we known, but I'm glad we did," said patron Anni Kunkel.
Backstreets is one of 23 businesses affected after a contractor accidentally hit this six inch pipe. "A lot of workers working. The waitress told us no water," said another patron.
"A crew was doing a directional drill, I believe for a gas line. They tried to locate the water main, they thought they found it at 5 foot deep, it was just a little shallower," said Assistant Superintendent of Utilities Collection, Distribution David Vallandingham.
Backstreets' owner says her businesses is coping as best it can by using bottled water.
No homes are affected, only businesses.
The city hopes to lift the boil water notice by the end of the week.
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys