|Published:||Sep 03, 2013 11:45 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 03, 2013 11:45 AM EDT|
RIVIERA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A teenager drowned after straying outside the guarded swimming area off Peanut Island.
Lt. Allison Kelly of the Palm Beach County Ocean Rescue says Kenrud Belony was wading with a small group of people near a sand bar Monday afternoon when he either decided to head into deeper water or was pulled by the current.
The Palm Beach Post (http://bit.ly/17IaKZV ) reports Kelly found the teen on the bottom and pulled him to the surface. He was about 100 yards southeast of the island park's designated swimming area.
The teen was unresponsive as crews administered CPR. He was taken to St. Mary's Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead about 2 p.m.
Authorities say the swimming advisory sign near the lifeguard stands warned of "strong, tidal currents."
Information from: The Palm Beach (Fla.) Post, http://www.pbpost.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- LCSO finds, arrests North Fort Myers murder suspect
- Suspect in Lehigh double murder located in WY
- Man pays down 76 layaway orders at Fla. store
- FMPD arrests 16 suspected drug dealers
- LCSO searched for missing 29 y/o Bonita man
- Attorney blasts investigation into FSU's Winston
- Deputies shoot bank robbery suspect who claimed to have bomb
- Hertz plans to open temporary headquarters in Bonita Springs
- Fla. Attorney General temporarily stops Service Star
- 2 transported by helicopter after serious crash on SR 776