|Published:||Sep 03, 2013 3:59 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 03, 2013 3:59 PM EDT|
SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) - Sarasota police are investigating after they say a mother shot her 1-year-old daughter and then turned the gun on herself.
An officer reported going to the family's home Sunday morning and hearing the father repeat, "She shot our baby."
A police report released Tuesday says authorities found 35-year-old Sarah Harnish lying face down in the doorway in a pool of blood, still holding a gun.
The 17-month-old baby, Josephine Boice, was lying in bed shot in the temple, but was still breathing. She later died at the hospital.
A police statement says the child's father returned home from a scooter ride before 10 a.m. and heard shots fired and called 911.
No one else was inside the home when it happened. No other details were released and it's unclear what prompted the shooting.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings spotted in SC
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble