|Published:||Sep 03, 2013 11:03 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 03, 2013 6:32 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Fort Myers Police are investigating a robbery to Fifth Third Bank, located at 11511 SR 82, that happened just before 11:00 a.m.
According to police, a white van pulled up to the business and two masked men jumped out. One of them had a gun. They demanded money, and got back into the van, where a third suspect was waiting. They fled toward Lehigh with an undisclosed amount of money.
Alex Gutierrez was inside the bank when it all happened. He says he was at the counter and had just made a deposit when the men came in with a gun and demanded cash. He said they told him to get on the ground and not look up.
Only WINK News was there as police recovered the van in Lehigh Acres. They say it was stolen from a Fort Myers neighborhood a few days ago, and the license plate was changed.
Detectives also tell WINK News they believe the dye packs exploded with the money when the robbers left the bank. That means the money is permanently red, and the suspects hands will be red for a few days. If anyone comes across red-colored cash, officers ask you call Fort Myers Police.
The investigation continues. Anyone with information is asked to call FMPD at 321-7700, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS or text message C-R-I-M-E-S (274637) Keyword FMPD. Tipsters can remain anonymous. Anyone with information that leads to an arrest and conviction of the robbery suspect could be eligible for a reward of up to $5,000.
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Deputies confiscate handgun from students at Alva Middle
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- Ford logo creates close call for FGCU men's basketball team
- FGCU WINS!
- Cape PD: Man buys iPad with stolen credit card
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- Cape Coral Police shoot 'aggressive' dog on SW 6th Ave.