|Published:||Aug 30, 2013 11:05 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 30, 2013 11:05 AM EDT|
SATSUMA, Fla. (AP) - A man was killed and a woman was seriously injured when they were hit by a passenger train in north Florida.
Florida Highway Patrol reports that an Amtrak train heading from Lorton, Va., to Sanford, Fla., on Thursday hit 30-year-old Stephen Carl Smith and 32-year-old Amanda Harvey in Satsuma, Fla.
The train operator told investigators the two had been lying on the track as the train approached. FHP reports the people attempted to stand up as the operator applied the brakes, but it was too late.
Smith died at the scene, and Harvey was taken to a Gainesville hospital with serious injuries.
The train had been carrying 344 passengers, but Amtrak reports none of them were injured.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- LCSO finds, arrests North Fort Myers murder suspect
- Suspect in Lehigh double murder located in WY
- Man pays down 76 layaway orders at Fla. store
- FMPD arrests 32 suspected drug dealers
- Attorney blasts investigation into FSU's Winston
- LCSO searched for missing 29 y/o Bonita man
- 2 transported by helicopter after serious crash on SR 776
- USPS to deliver mail in SWFL on certain Sundays
- Corrections officer accused of stealing inmate IDs
- Naples based St. Matthew's House expanding to Labelle