|Published:||Aug 29, 2013 5:08 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 29, 2013 5:08 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - A man accused of killing his wife and then posting a confession and a bloody picture of her body on Facebook has pleaded not guilty in Florida.
Prosecutors say 31-year-old Derek Medina fatally shot 26-year-old Jennifer Alfonso at their South Miami townhome earlier this month. A judge on Thursday set a tentative trial date of Nov. 4.
Medina is charged with second-degree murder, but The Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/12OBS5L ) reports prosecutors will likely seek a first-degree murder indictment when the grand jury returns in September.
Alfonso's relatives didn't speak in court Thursday.
Medina's attorney Sam Zangeneh says his team hasn't decided on a defense strategy yet.
Court records indicate Alfonso was shot six to eight times during an argument with Medina.
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Interpreter for deaf at Mandela event called fake
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified