|Published:||Aug 28, 2013 8:40 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 29, 2013 5:36 PM EDT|
NAPLES, Fla.- The Florida Highway Patrol has identified the victim of a fatal crash in North Naples as 86-year-old Esther Smith. The accident happened on Immokalee Road at Aston Drive around 8:00 p.m. last night.
Troopers says 37-year-old Jacob Knight lost control of his car, hit a curb, and crossed the median to hit the car Smith was riding in. Knight was taken to Lee Memorial after the crash.
Residents in North Naples said they still can't believe there was a serious crash just feet from their homes.
"It was really bad, it was really devastating. I couldn't sleep til like 4."
The Florida Highway Patrol said the Honda Civic, driven by Knight, was traveling westbound on Immokalee Road and tried to make a left hand turn. Instead, the car hit the media, crossed into the eastbound lanes and collided head on with a Hyundai Elantra. 38 year old Carrie Lynn Muni was driving. Her grandmother, Esther Smith, was in the passenger seat and died. The accident report said the 86 year old was not wearing a seat belt.
"It's just horrific, and it shouldn't be that way and to see a tarp, you know lying over a car. All this is unneccesary so maybe people should, I don't know the reason, drinking, driving, texting, you know not paying attention, drag racing, it needs to stop because people die," said a North Naples resident.
FHP said it will need time to get witness statements and any evidence to determine the actions of the vehicles involved. Troopers are also trying to find out if any other vehicles were in the immeadiate vicinity right before the crash.
"I've been hearing a couple of different things from different people saying someone was racing and I don't know who did what. it just didnt end up good," said North Naples resident William Davis.
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Man bitten by shark in foot in Cocoa Beach
- Golisano Children's Hospital holds ceremonial groundbreaking
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- USDA predicts smaller citrus crop in Florida