|Published:||Aug 28, 2013 8:40 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 29, 2013 5:36 PM EDT|
NAPLES, Fla.- The Florida Highway Patrol has identified the victim of a fatal crash in North Naples as 86-year-old Esther Smith. The accident happened on Immokalee Road at Aston Drive around 8:00 p.m. last night.
Troopers says 37-year-old Jacob Knight lost control of his car, hit a curb, and crossed the median to hit the car Smith was riding in. Knight was taken to Lee Memorial after the crash.
Residents in North Naples said they still can't believe there was a serious crash just feet from their homes.
"It was really bad, it was really devastating. I couldn't sleep til like 4."
The Florida Highway Patrol said the Honda Civic, driven by Knight, was traveling westbound on Immokalee Road and tried to make a left hand turn. Instead, the car hit the media, crossed into the eastbound lanes and collided head on with a Hyundai Elantra. 38 year old Carrie Lynn Muni was driving. Her grandmother, Esther Smith, was in the passenger seat and died. The accident report said the 86 year old was not wearing a seat belt.
"It's just horrific, and it shouldn't be that way and to see a tarp, you know lying over a car. All this is unneccesary so maybe people should, I don't know the reason, drinking, driving, texting, you know not paying attention, drag racing, it needs to stop because people die," said a North Naples resident.
FHP said it will need time to get witness statements and any evidence to determine the actions of the vehicles involved. Troopers are also trying to find out if any other vehicles were in the immeadiate vicinity right before the crash.
"I've been hearing a couple of different things from different people saying someone was racing and I don't know who did what. it just didnt end up good," said North Naples resident William Davis.
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Deputies confiscate handgun from students at Alva Middle
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- Ford logo creates close call for FGCU men's basketball team
- FGCU WINS!
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer
- WINK News viewers capture pictures, videos of SWFL storms
- New patrol cars to help combat traffic offenses