|Published:||Aug 24, 2013 7:14 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 25, 2013 12:58 AM EDT|
LABELLE, Fla. - The 12-year-old LaBelle boy who had been infected with a brain-eating amoeba is being kept on a ventilator according to a Facebook post by family.
Zachary Reyna had been in Miami Children's Hospital for several weeks after being infected with the amoeba on August 3.
Family told WINK News Zac contracted the brain-eating amoeba after he had been knee boarding and fell into a ditch and got water up his nose.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the amoeba is found in warm, fresh bodies of water. The infection occurs when the contaminated water enters the body through the nose.
The following was posted to the Pray4Number4 Facebook page Saturday afternoon: "At 1:54 today there was a crack of a bat heard. Zac took it deep. My boy hit his homerun. One that I'll never forget. I'm so proud of him. He left it all on the field and I can't ask for more. He did so well that he'll be the starting 2nd baseman for The Lords team. I sit back and ask myself, what would make me prouder; my son playing pro ball, being a successful business man or being known for changing and saving thousands of lives for The Lord. It's a no brainer. I love The Lord for giving me such a beautiful son who He chose to change myself, my family and the world for better. Thank you Jesus. It hurts, but you have given my family love and peace. We couldn't be so strong today without you. I hope that Zac continues to touch people and his time here is remembered forever. We thank everyone for being so caring and I know it's going to be tough on us at first, but we have an awesome support team back home and we are grateful for that. The battle is over for Zac but he won the war."
Soon after, this message was posted: "Zac's organs are very strong and his parents have decided to donate his organs to others in need. Even though Zac has passed, he will still be saving many lives. Zac will be kept on a ventilator for any family and friends that would like to see him here at Miami Children's Hospital. Visiting hours will be open tomorrow (8/25/13) from 9AM-9PM."
According to the CDC, the brain-eating amoeba is a very rare infection with only 28 cases reported in the United States between 2003-2012.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- Study shows foreclosure numbers down, job growth up in SWFL