|Published:||Aug 21, 2013 4:54 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 21, 2013 4:54 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- Cape Coral firefighters and paramedics responded to Rum Runners, at 5848 Cape Harbour Drive, this morning where a worker had fallen off the roof.
The 911 call came in around 11:00 a.m. Crews arrived within minutes to find a male patient lying on the ground.
The man sustained serious injuries and was transported to the hospital.
The Cape Coral Fire Department reminds everyone that working on any elevation, especially a roof, can be dangerous, and has provided the following safety tips:
-Don’t work on the roof alone. If an accident should happen there should be someone there to help.Make sure the ladder is on a solid, level surface. If the legs are sitting on a dirt or grass surface, dig holes to hold the bottom of the ladder in place.
-Avoid walking on a roof when it’s wet since a wet roof can be very slippery. Remember that leaves on a roof can also create a slippery surface.
-If you do any work on the roof yourself, keep the site clear of debris and other objects. Clean up as you go. Nails and old shingles can create a hazard. Remove any tools that aren’t being used from the immediate work site. They can pose a slipping or tripping danger.
-Consider the weather. If thunder storms are in the area, put off your roof work until another day. Also avoid the roof if it is windy. A strong gust of wind could knock you off your feet.Keep your eyes on the area you’re working on to help prevent miss stepping or tripping. The view from the roof may be fantastic, but getting distracted by it could be dangerous.
-If you are uncomfortable with heights or feel unstable on a ladder don’t climb up on the roof. Know your physical limitations and call a professional. It’s the safest thing you can do.
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Trial date set for daycare owner charged in boy's drowning
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean