|Published:||Aug 19, 2013 10:30 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 19, 2013 10:30 AM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Opening statements are set to be delivered in the murder trial of a Tampa man accused of throwing his ex-girlfriend's 3-month-old son out of a moving car.
Prosecutors are expected to tell jurors Monday that Richard McTear murdered Emmanuel Murray three years ago when he threw the boy onto Interstate 275.
Investigators said McTear forced his way into Jasmine Bedwell's apartment on May 5, 2009, and beat her. He threw a baby carrier against a wall with the child in it, causing him to fall to a concrete floor.
Detectives say McTear then drove off with the baby, got on the interstate and threw the infant out.
McTear could get the death penalty if convicted of first-degree murder.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- FGCU one win away from NCAA Tournament appearance
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- Search continues for missing spring breaker
- Fla. teen shot by grandfather during argument
- Suspected police impersonator was fed agent
- Cape Coral firefighters investigating trash compactor fire
- Gay-straight club lawsuit to be move forward
- Judge: tainted evidence not enough to free inmate
- Obama to promote education agenda at Miami school