|Published:||Aug 19, 2013 10:30 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 19, 2013 10:30 AM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Opening statements are set to be delivered in the murder trial of a Tampa man accused of throwing his ex-girlfriend's 3-month-old son out of a moving car.
Prosecutors are expected to tell jurors Monday that Richard McTear murdered Emmanuel Murray three years ago when he threw the boy onto Interstate 275.
Investigators said McTear forced his way into Jasmine Bedwell's apartment on May 5, 2009, and beat her. He threw a baby carrier against a wall with the child in it, causing him to fall to a concrete floor.
Detectives say McTear then drove off with the baby, got on the interstate and threw the infant out.
McTear could get the death penalty if convicted of first-degree murder.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- 3 people killed in Florida Panhandle boat crash
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday
- 2nd bear suspected in woman's mauling euthanized
- Sentencing delayed for Tampa abortion drug case