Here is a comprehensive list of ways to donate to the family of slain Charlotte County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Mike Wilson, and honor his memory.
• Aug. 25 - Gulf Coast Motorcycles, 16090 S Tamiami Trail, Fort Myers. Motorcycle ride to the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office to drop off donations. Collections begin at $20 per rider. 239-481-8100. Ride starts at 9 a.m.
• Aug. 17 — CrossFit, 17345 Abbott Ave., Murdock. 941-740-1675 or www.crossfitmurdock.com (or on Facebook). One heat offered at 8 a.m., and another at 9 a.m. Workout of the Day dedicated as a memorial workout to Wilson. Donation requested to participate; proceeds to go into a trust fund for the family. The workout will have scaled options available so people can participate to the best of their ability. Those who just want to come and cheer also are welcome!
• Aug. 17 — Shred-a-thon, Allstar Document Shredding, 3769 Acline Road, Punta Gorda. 941-505-5687. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Discounted rate of $5 per file box offered; all proceeds to the Wilson family.
• Aug. 17 — Dean’s South of the Border, 130 Tamiami Trail, Punta Gorda. 941-575-6100. Live music begins at noon.
• Aug. 17 — Celtic Ray, 145 E. Marion Ave., Punta Gorda. 941-916-9115. 6 p.m.
• Aug. 18 — Walmart, 375 Kings Highway, Port Charlotte. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Management has donated food products and use of the parking lot for the Walmart Distribution Center staff to hold a barbecue meal with pulled pork, hot dogs, etc. The meals (that include a drink and chips) will be sold to employees and the public, with all proceeds being donated to the Sgt. Wilson Trust.
• Sept. 6 — Dean’s North of the Border Pub, 23064 Harborview Road, Charlotte Harbor. 941-743-6100. Stuffed-pizza eating contest, 7 p.m.; entry proceeds to the family.
• Sept. 15 — Deep Creek Elks Lodge 2763, 1133 Capricorn Blvd. 941-764-6925 or 941-764-6824. Spaghetti Dinner fundraiser, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. The Heart and Soul band will provide live entertainment from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. There will be a silent auction (item donations accepted prior to the event). All proceeds will benefit Wilson’s family.
• The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office, after being inundated with calls from people wanting to help, set up a donation site for the Wilson family. Those wishing to contribute can go to the main page of the sheriff’s website, www.ccso.org, and click on the "Donate" button to make a secure donation via PayPal.
• The Sheriff’s Office announced recently that a trust fund also has been set up atSunTrust bank, so that interested people can make donations for Wilson’s family. People can go to any SunTrust branch to make a deposit via cash or check (make checks payable to "Sgt. Michael Wilson Memorial Trust").
• Deep Creek Elks Lodge 2763, 1133 Capricorn Blvd., has set up a fund for Wilson’s family. Donations will be accepted at the lodge. Checks should be made payable to "Deep Creek Elks" and the memo "Sgt. Wilson" written on the check. For more information, call 941-764-6825.
• A memorial pagein honor of Wilson has been set up on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SgtMichaelWilson.
Thanks to our news partners at The Charlotte Sun for providing this comprehensive list.