|Published:||Aug 16, 2013 11:42 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 16, 2013 12:40 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- The State Attorney's Office has officially filed a charge of aggravated manslaughter against a Lehigh Acres daycare provider, accused in the death of a child.
Authorities say 42-year-old Melissa Smith left several children unattended in her backyard, when 2-year-old Christian Byrd drowned in a kiddie pool back in June.
In addition to the manslaughter charge, the State Atorney's Office also filed three charges of child neglect against Smith, for the other kids who were reportedly left in the pool.
Smith is scheduled to be back in court on Monday.
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Lee deputies investigating death on Bokeelia
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Charlotte County deputies investigate shooting at a party
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend