|Published:||Aug 14, 2013 6:17 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 14, 2013 6:17 PM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - Officials have found the body of a 39-year-old man who jumped into the water off West Summerland Key to rescue a child in distress.
The Monroe County Sheriff's Office reported Wednesday that Brian Kowalski's body was recovered after being spotted by a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission aircraft.
Officials say the Trinity man was on a boat trip with other adults and children Monday afternoon.
A child was being towed by a rope behind the boat and other children were in the water. Officials say Kowalski was bringing the child back to the boat when he showed signs of distress.
Two people on the boat tried to turn the boat around so they could help, but the rope got tangled in the propeller. They lost sight of Kowalski as they tried to untangle the rope. The child has recovered.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey