|Published:||Aug 07, 2013 6:00 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 07, 2013 7:47 AM EDT|
NAPLES, Fla. – The Golisano Children’s Museum of Naples is hosting “Castles for Kids,” a children’s sand sculpting competition on Wednesday, August 7.
The fundraising event will take place at the LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort, located at 9891 Gulf Shore Drive, Naples, just north of Vanderbilt Beach. Participants are invited to register and take part in this unique and engaging contest. Beachgoers are welcome to view the incredible creations and take part in many of the activities.
Registration is now open but space is limited to twenty five teams. Team registration is $150 and consists of four children and one adult. The event will include lunch for the children as well as a beach bucket and shovel, entertainment, activities and prizes.
Castles for Kids begins at 8:30 a.m. with registration, temporary tattoo stations, live mermaids from Blue Mermaid Designs, pirates from Salty Sam’s Pieces of Eight and a Chinese auction. The sand sculpture building is from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and will be supplemented with beach activities with Coach B Aquatics, presentations by the Conservancy of Southwest Florida, refreshments from Costco Wholesale and steel drum entertainment from J Roberts, Marco Music. The event concludes at noon with lunch for the children, prizes and the announcements of winners.
Prizes will be awarded to all of the contestants in variety of playful categories. A People’s Choice Award will be given to one team for the overall favorite sand sculpture. To vote, contestants and beachgoers will drop any amount of money into a container, located at each of the sculptures, for the sculpture/team of their choice. The winner will be determined by the most money at the end of the event. The winning team receives the coveted “People’s Choice Award”.
• Each child will receive one (1) free bucket with a shovel
• Sand within the designated building area (approximately 10’ x 10’)
• No adhesives permitted
• Water containers may be filled prior to the start of the contest
• Contestants may have an unlimited number of water carriers.
• The sand plot may be wet down prior to the contest starting time
• Biodegradable, non-toxic food coloring and/or Jell-O powder may be used to color the sand
• Naturally occurring plants and inanimate objects from the sea (such as seaweed, shells without animals, etc.) may be used
• All hand tools (masonry, garden or household implements, shovels and tampers)
• Pails, buckets, watering cans or hand pump sprayers are allowed
• Forms are permitted but must be removed prior to judging NOTE: No sculptured forms are allowed
• Compacted sand must be sculpted and altered by hand upon removal of forms
All proceeds from Castles for Kids benefit C’mon.
For more information, call C’mon at (239) 821-2546 or visit the Museum website at http://www.cmon.org/events-and-festivals/sand-sculpting-contest/.
Founded in 2002 as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit charitable organization, the mission of the Golisano Children’s Museum of Naples is “to provide an exciting, inspiring environment where children and their families play, learn and dream together.” C’mon is open six days a week, Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm and Sunday from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. Admission is free for members; free to children under 1; $10 for adults and children; $10 for seniors. For details, visit www.cmon.org or call 239-514-0084.
- Power Outage Delays FGCU Game. Power Surge causes TV delay
- Firefighters rescue driver from atop his submerged vehicle
- Despite loss, FGCU fans make the best of game day
- LCSO searches for hit & run suspect, bicyclist hospitalized
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- Security plans for Boston Marathon to be detailed