|Published:||Aug 06, 2013 5:26 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 06, 2013 5:44 PM EDT|
SANIBEL, Fla.- Christian Mercurio was vacationing with his family from New Jersey when he was attacked, apparently by a shark, while fishing yesterday.
"I was saying f-word, shark, f-word, shark, and I kept repeating that,"said Mercurio.
Those were the words Mercurio yelled to alert people on the beach that he had just been bitten by what he thought was a shark.
"I felt pressure on my leg, I got bumped and I got dragged a little," said Mercurio.
He said he may have just been the perfect meal for the shark lurking in the murky water. He had a cat fish hooked to his fishing line and two pieces of bait in his pocket.
"On my right leg, the bite mark of the shark was 22 centimeters and the doctor estimated the shark to be about 7 to 8 feet long," said Mercurio.
He said the doctor told him people have a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting bit by a shark.
"I posted, 'Shark Week sucks! I got bit by a stupid shark.' I posted two pictures of my left foot with puncture wounds," said Mercurio.
Ironically, Mercurio was actually watching "Shark Week" while we were shooting this story.
We have not confirmed it was in fact a shark that bit him.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Man who lost leg to propeller unable to reach settlement
- Study shows foreclosure numbers down, job growth up in SWFL
- Five years fatality free: Florida set to break gator record