|Published:||Aug 04, 2013 4:35 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 04, 2013 4:35 PM EDT|
FROSTPROOF, Fla. (AP) - A $5,000 reward is being offered by the Polk County Sheriff's Office for information leading to the capture of a man who shot at deputies during a chase.
Eleno Suarez, 20, was one of two suspects involved in an armed home invasion, robbery and carjacking in July in Frostproof where Suarez lived, authorities said.
Early Saturday morning, deputies found Suarez at a convenience store and tried to stop him in his car. Suarez kept going and deputies began to chase after his car. During the pursuit, Suarez fired multiple shots at deputies while driving the car, authorities said. There were no injuries reported. Several other law enforcement agencies also responded to the scene.
Suarez ultimately lost control of the car, the sheriff's office said in a statement, and deputies were able to apprehend five passengers. Suarez, however, fled on foot.
Suarez now faces charges of attempted murder of a law enforcement officer and is considered armed and dangerous, authorities said.
"We are asking for your help in locating a very dangerous subject," said Sheriff Grady Judd in a statement released Saturday night. "If you will shoot at armed deputies, you will shoot at anyone. We need him in custody before anyone else falls victim to this nasty thug. If you see him or know him call law enforcement immediately, he is very dangerous."
Anyone with information about Suarez's whereabouts is urged to contact the Polk County Sheriff's Office.
The five passengers with Suarez in the car were arrested on charges that include armed carjacking and resisting arrest without violence. The group was booked into the Hardee County Jail.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft