|Published:||Aug 02, 2013 8:07 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 02, 2013 8:07 AM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, FL - A Cape Coral family, living in a rented home which uses a well for water, says they had no idea they had to have the system checked regularly. Stephanie Lovell says her 3 month old daughter who suffered a devastating birth defect, was recently allowed to come home only to be infected with salmonella. An infection, Lovell says, came from bacteria in her well water. Lovell says the Florida Department of Health in Lee County tested the water at her home after her daughter was diagnosed and found high levels of bacteria in the water.
Diane Holm, with the Department of Health in Lee county says all home owners and even renters are responsible for making sure their well water is tested and safe. The DOH-LEE is recommending everyone have their well systems tested for bacteria regularly.
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- SWFL couple gives gift of Christmas to less fortunate
- WINK News gets answers for those with unemployment problems
- Lee rejects wording in animal ordinance; will revise it
- Make-A-Wish Grants boy's wish for a fish tank at his church
- Barbara B. Mann remembered at annual Holiday Carol Sing
- WINK Investigates what's at stake in Radel ethics probe
- iGeneration Charter School in Immokalee shuts down