Published: Aug 02, 2013 6:04 PM EDT
Updated: Aug 02, 2013 6:06 PM EDT

LEE COUNTY, Fla. - A flesh-eating bacteria found in the Gulf just struck another person. This time, it was in Lee County.

This is the second case in Southwest Florida in seven days.

In Collier County, surgeons had to amputate 84-year-old Margaret Freiwald's leg after she went swimming near Tampa, then got sick hours later while vacationing on Marco Island.

"This is the first time in my life I've seen her laid out like this, said Freiwald's daughter, Amber Castleman. "Its been devastating.

Castleman said doctors at NCH told her Freiwald contracted the bacteria, Vibrio Valnificus, after she cut herself getting onto a boat and later went swimming.

The Florida Department of Health in Lee County told Wink News the bacteria occurs naturally in salt water and is more prevalent when the water is warm, usually in the summer. The Department of health recommends people don't swim with an open wound.

"If you can avoid it don't take the risk," agreed Castleman.

Castleman told her mother on Friday that doctors amputated her leg.

"Believe it or not, my mom is a feisty woman and age realized what it is and she's okay," said Castleman.

She hopes her mother will be out of the hospital sometime tomorrow.

The Florida Department of Health in Lee County said this bacteria is rare. People with poor immune systems need to be especially cautious. DOH-Lee also recommends anyone who gets a skin infection after swimming in the Gulf immediately tell their doctors.