|Published:||Jul 31, 2013 10:10 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 31, 2013 10:10 AM EDT|
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Police say a maintenance man used a man's ATM card before calling 911 after finding him dead or dying in a Gainesville apartment.
The Gainesville Sun (http://bit.ly/18Mjax4 ) reports police learned about the theft three weeks after J.W. White died on July 1. The man's brother called authorities after finding an ATM transaction on White's Bank of America account minutes before paramedics arrived at the apartment.
Police arrested 52-year-old Clarence Davis Monday. He remains in the Alachua County Jail on $5,000 bail.
Video footage shows Davis checking the balance and making two withdrawals from White's account for $611.90. Davis told police he had permission to withdraw the money to pay rent and other bills for White.
Police say Davis admitted to using the money to restore the apartment to re-rent it.
Information from: The Gainesville (Fla.) Sun, http://www.gainesvillesun.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Real life grinch steals Christmas stockings
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Man bitten by shark in foot in Cocoa Beach