|Published:||Jul 30, 2013 11:31 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 30, 2013 11:31 AM EDT|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - When firefighters responded to a small electrical fire at a St. Petersburg house, the man inside wouldn't let them in.
So firefighters broke down the door to Gaetano Rodriguez's room on Monday evening and found out why.
The Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/16xtJ4M ) reports there were between 75 and 100 potted marijuana plants inside the room of the house Rodriguez rents from his father.
St. Petersburg police say 27-year-old Rodriguez first told them the plants were for medicinal use. Later, police say he told them he was growing the plants to sell.
He faces charges of cultivation of marijuana and obstructing firefighters. He was released from Pinellas County Jail on $7,300 bail. It was unclear whether he has an attorney.
Officials say several extension cords in the room overloaded and smoldered.
Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Cape Police find child living in deplorable conditions
- Deputies confiscate handgun from students at Alva Middle
- Lee County judge rules in favor of son in life or death case
- Ford logo creates close call for FGCU men's basketball team
- FGCU WINS!
- Cape PD: Man buys iPad with stolen credit card
- Teens arrested with gun at school were searched Wednesday
- Principal charged with sexually assaulting staffer
- Sailboat off Marco Island tries to ride out Thursday's storm
- WINK News viewers capture pictures, videos of SWFL storms