|Published:||Jul 30, 2013 10:25 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 30, 2013 10:25 AM EDT|
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Officials at Shands Hospital in Gainesville have closed down the burn unit after they say a bacterial outbreak infected eight patients.
Dr. Timothy Flynn said one patient has been placed in an isolation unit. Hospital officials would not say whether any patients have died as a result of the outbreak.
The acinetobacter baumannii bacteria can cause fatal infections for vulnerable patients including burn victim because their immune systems are compromised.
Hospital officials said they had already planned to close the burn unit for renovations prior to the outbreak.
The hospital is still taking burn patients. One of the victims injured in a massive explosion at a gas plant in Tavarres on Monday was taken to Shands.
The Ocala Star-Banner (http://tinyurl.com/khawgva) reports the hospital's infection control department is checking for contamination in other areas of the hospital.
Information from: Ocala (Fla.) Star-Banner, http://www.starbanner.com/
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Interpreter for deaf at Mandela event called fake
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified