|Published:||Jul 24, 2013 11:33 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 24, 2013 11:33 AM EDT|
OCALA, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say an Ocala teen is accused of shooting a 5-year-old in the leg with a BB gun.
The Ocala Star-Banner (http://bit.ly/1dUS9I8 ) reported Tuesday that the 17-year-old boy was arrested on a felony child abuse charge. Deputies say the child had a red welt on his thigh, but didn't require medical attention.
Marion County Sheriff's deputies say the boy told them he was playing with friends when the teen approached.
According to an incident report, the teen said he shot the boy because he "felt like it," and because the boy didn't believe the gun was real. But he says he didn't mean to harm the child.
The gun was recovered at the home of one of the teen's friends.
The teen was taken to a juvenile detention facility.
Information from: Ocala (Fla.) Star-Banner, http://www.starbanner.com/
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Real life grinch steals Christmas stockings
- Beach renourishment winds down in Naples