|Published:||Jul 18, 2013 8:51 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 18, 2013 8:57 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla.,- The ESPY for 'Best Upset' goes to the FGCU Men's Basketball team!
It was last night in Los Angeles, the team was given the prestigious award for their win against Georgetown during the NCAA tournament.
It's a true story to how the underdog rose to the top, but this happy ending is for a team many people had never heard of before they made their way to their first ever NCAA tournament.
They've come back to Fort Myers, a.k.a. Dunk City, a name they earned because of their 'high-flying style.'
Back in March, the Eagles defeated number two seeded Georgetown in Philadelphia with a 78 to 68 defeat, putting these players, this team and this school on the map.
The team made history by becoming the first 15-seed in the NCAA tournament to win two games and make it to the Sweet 16.
There second win was against San Diego State.
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Lee's family talks about new 911 dispatcher training
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- Estero firefighters rescue impaled seagull
- FWC releases rehabilitated panther in Hendry County
- Lehigh Middle student allegedly brings knife to school
- Cincy firefighters are heating things up on FMB