|Published:||Jul 13, 2013 3:50 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 15, 2013 1:07 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla.- Police need help identifying the people in this picture. The surveillance photos show them using the victim's credit cards less than an hour after the initial crime occurred.
On Friday at 10:45 a.m., the Fort Myers Police Department received a call in reference to a vehicle that was stolen with a toddler in the back seat. It happened at Brittany Apartments located at 4040 Winkler Avenue Extension.
The family had just returned to the complex in their Kia Sportage and was assisting an elderly relative into an apartment when the relative fell. The driver of the Kia jumped out to help and that's when an unknown suspect watching them took the opportunity to steal the Kia. The suspect then fled the scene, perhaps not realizing at first that at 2-year-old girl remained inside the SUV.
Approximately three blocks away the suspect pulled into the Sienna Apartments located at 3621 Winkler Extension where he removed the toddler from the SUV and then dumped the vehicle in the parking lot. A resident there assisted the toddler as police arrived. The toddler is currently safe with her family and their vehicle has been recovered by police.
Surveillance video from the Brittany Apartments shows the suspects circling the complex prior to the crime in what appears to be a white, older model, Toyota Avalon. As the crime is being committed, the video shows a suspect in the white sedan following the suspect in the Kia out of the parking lot. Witnesses at the Sienna apartments described the same white vehicle as the one that picked up the suspect at that location. Witnesses also described the suspect as younger black male 18-20 years old.
Anyone with information is asked to call FMPD at 321-7700, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS or text message C-R-I-M-E-S (274637) Keyword FMPD. Tipsters can remain anonymous.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- 3 people killed in Florida Panhandle boat crash