|Published:||Jul 11, 2013 9:00 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 11, 2013 9:00 PM EDT|
A central Florida language arts teacher has been named Florida's 2014 Teach of the Year. Dorina Sackman, of Westridge Middle School in Orange County,
was announced as the winner in Orlando Thursday night at the Hard Rock Live at Universal Studios. Sackman and four other finalists were selected in May
from among 72 school district nominees: Nancy Smith, of Citrus High School in Citrus County; Apryl Shackelford, of Northwestern Middle School in Duval
County; Patricia Gair, of Cypress Lake High School in Lee County; and Katrin Rudge, of Riverview High School in Sarasota County. Sackman will receive a
$10,000 grant funded by the Macy's Foundation, along with an all-expense paid trip for four to New York City to attend the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Excavator catches fire at Bonita construction site
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies