|Published:||Jul 10, 2013 10:40 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 10, 2013 10:40 AM EDT|
WEEKI WACHEE, Fla. (AP) - A black bear is dead after an encounter with an ambulance near Weeki Wachee.
Hernando County Fire Rescue emergency medical technician Chris Fowler says the bear ran into the side of the ambulance Monday night as it was rushing to a call for help.
The Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/12gYOqY ) reports Fowler stopped the vehicle and another unit was dispatched to the call. The impact left the ambulance's front fender ripped away and dented the side step and the patient cabin.
The 225-pound bear limped into a marshy area and died before a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission biologist arrived.
A biologist measured the bear and took a hair sample. The bear was then buried in the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area.
Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- Deputies arrest student accused of bringing knife to school
- Officials: 20 whales spotted closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash