Published: Jul 05, 2013 10:32 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 08, 2013 1:13 PM EDT

CAPE CORAL, Fla. - A Cape Coral family now has to find a place to stay tonight after their home went up in flames.

It happened down NW 2nd Terrace shortly after 7pm this evening.

Cell phone video shows the flames taking over the home's garage and the thick black smoke billowing in to the air.

Time Brister was riding his bike when he saw the family run out of the house.

"He told the mother and daughter inside the house they have to get out apparently he was in the garage, so they got out and he got out I saw him running," said Brister.

The flames continued to grow as they ate up the house and everything inside the garage.

"When I rode up here on my bike there was like a car on fire, there was a motorcycle next to the car and apparently something happened to the car that caused the explosion," said Brister.

Neighbors who were watching say they quickly ran from the house after they say something sounded like it was about to explode.

"Something was going on in the garage, high pitch whistle louder, louder louder and then the fire truck showed up," said James Lowande.

"The fire escaladed when it looked like there was some sort of propulsion of the flames horizontal out of the garage which then started engulfing the house," said Brister.

Fire crews say on top of the car and a riding lawn mower, there was also a propane tank that was shooting out fire.

"The initial fire tactic was a little tricky and we had to approach it a little more cautiously," said Cape Coral Fire Department's Christopher Moore.

Investigators say the firestarted when someone was cooking inside the garage on a propane stove.