|Published:||Jul 04, 2013 10:27 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 04, 2013 11:36 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, FL--Fireworks lit up the sky over downtownFort Myers tonight. The city celebrated Freedom Fest 2013 and businesses who are trying to revitalize downtown say the event continues to attract more people.
"It's 4th of July we are celebrating independence," said one patron.
The third annual Fort Myers Freedom Fest is one giant block party full of Independence Day fun.
"The restaurants are open, the bars are open, most of the retail shops are open," said event organizer Suzy Lewis.
The smell of burgers and the pulled pork filled the air while the beats of Deb and the Dynamics rocked on.
The rain showers earlier this evening had people scatter for shelter, but didn't soak up their celebration.
"I am not going to let it stop me, we are going to have a good time. It is summer time in Florida it is going to happen," said Anthony Hiserodt.
It was a turnout that had event organizers extremely pleased because all the rain the past few days has been anything but helpful.
Business owners, who are pushing for larger crowds and events downtown, were also impressed.
"It definitely introduces new people to downtown and to our business, which is great, and as far as the future goes hopefully we can get those people to come back," said Ben Dopp with Spirits of Baucchus
"The city has done a great job with all the sidewalks and everything, and the businesses have everything nice and it is just very personable, peaceful, you feel safe and secure," said Matt Harris.
- Rep. Trey Radel says he will not resign from Congress
- Driver suffers medical emergency, crashes into Cape home
- Rep. Trey Radel speaks publicly on arrest, rehab and future
- Man reportedly tried to lure 11 y/o into his vehicle
- McGregor Blvd.now open after vehicle hits pedestrian
- Crash at controversial intersection with new traffic light
- Wawa, Chipotle and others come to South Ft. Myers
- Wildlife officials say pelican injuries are on the rise
- FDLE arrests 6 in connection with the inmate escape scheme
- Short in extension cord catches Christmas tree on fire