|Published:||Jul 04, 2013 3:24 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 04, 2013 3:24 PM EDT|
KEY WEST, Fla. (AP) - A festival celebrating the signature flavor of the Florida Keys kicked off with an enormous Key lime pie.
The pie baked Thursday during the Key Lime Festival measured more than 8 feet across and weighed an estimated 1,000 pounds.
The ingredient list for the giant dessert included the juice from 5,760 Key limes, 55 gallons of sweetened condensed milk and 200 pounds of graham crackers.
The origins of the tart and tangy Key lime pie have been traced to Key West in the late 1800s. The state legislature designed Key lime pie as Florida's official pie in 2006.
The festival continues through Saturday with a pie-eating contest and a "Miss Key Lime" pageant.
Key Lime Festival: http://keylimefestival.com/
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Ida Baker assistant principal put on leave
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified
- Police chief resigns in troubled Fla. city
- Radel makes Forbes' list of 'biggest career crashes of 2013'
- Fake service dogs hurting those who actually need them
- Desoto County deputy admits to lying about beating