|Published:||Jul 02, 2013 6:11 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jul 02, 2013 6:19 PM EDT|
SANIBEL- Fla.- Officials are saying no squirt guns, no super soakers and no water hoses! The Sanibel Fourth of July parade is now a "no water" event. The popular tradition is being banned and the police chief says the decision is to keep everyone safe.
"We just want to make it safe and enjoyable and not have people worried they are going to get pressure or any water in their face, whatever the case might be," said Police Chief Bill Tomlinson.
Chief Bill Tomlinson says every year bigger water cannons have been brought to the party.
"The intent is to enjoy it as a parade, if they want to go to a waterpark Sun Splash is in Cape Coral."
Dick Muench says he's neutral when it comes to the ban, but says water fights have been a long time tradition of the parade.
"Ah! That's the fun of it! By the time you get all done, you are soaked! Going up and down the parade, you're looking for people; you are looking for the one who got you last year," said Muench.
But others say in these times the rules needed to be changed.
"Some of the children may not like it, but in these troubling times all over the country, we don't know what's in that water gun, it could be clorox, acid, it may not be just simple water," said resident Bill Waterman.
Chief Tomlinson says you will get a verbal warning if you are caught with any kind of water gun, but if someone claims they were harmed by it then they will look into taking some type of action. Thursday's parade starts at Tarpon Bay Road and Periwinkle at 9:30 a.m.