|Published:||Jun 28, 2013 5:13 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM EDT|
MARCO ISLAND, Fla. - The summer heat isn't keeping these golfers off the greens.
"Golf tourism is out performing regular tourism in terms they are more affluent customer, they stay longer, and they spend more money at the destination," said Oonagh McCullagh.
And Collier County is the destination this week for International Association of Golf Tour Operators. The global group chose the area for its fifth North America Golf Tourism Convention, hosted at the Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort. Putting this area on the same level as some world-renowned courses.
"Tobe in the same mindset of other locations like Pebble Beach and the other conventions, Doral, these are great golf courses, great golf destinations," said Rick Medwedeff, the hotel's General Manager.
Oonagh McCullagh with the Naples, Marco Island, and Everglades Convention and Visitors Bureau, said these tour operators come from around the world. This week, they have been meeting and networking, even getting in a round. McCullagh said it all helps to bring new business to the area.
"Every single one of the tour operators want to contract this area and they're looking to bring business to the properties."
And with it, extra golf attention.ND WITH IT...EXTRA GOLF ATTENTION.
"Then the icing on the cake could be a destination for a PGA event and that's always an opportunity for us to look for," said Medwedef. "It is an incredible advertising tool for this community."
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- Realtors and police warn of rental fraud hitting SWFL
- Man accused of leaving baby in car no stranger to law
- Winter weather delays flights in and out of RSW
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Girlfriend wants charges dropped against Zimmerman