|Published:||Jun 27, 2013 5:21 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 27, 2013 5:21 PM EDT|
LEHIGH ACRES, Fla.- A situation in Lehigh Acres involving the Lee County Sheriff's Office Hostage Negotiation Team ended peacefully this afternoon.
Just after 1:00 p.m., the Lee County Sheriff's Office was called in reference to the well-being of a 42-year-old man who had been at a health care provider and left abruptly. As a result, deputies responded to the 1400 block of Henry Avenue.
Upon arrival, the individual was seen walking up the driveway of his home, but refused to stop and speak with the deputy. Continued attempts to talk with the man were not successful. In the meantime, information was developed the subject had access to firearms and a 7-year-old child was possibly inside the home.
Due to the circumstances, deputies with the Sheriff's Office Special Operations Unit and Hostage Negotiation Team were dispatched. Patrol deputies evacuated a few homes nearby. Eventually, multiple calls by phone resulted in success. The gentleman willingly came out of the home and surrendered peacefully.
The child was not harmed.
The adult male does not face criminal charges and has been transported for treatment under the Baker Act.
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday
- Sentencing delayed for Tampa abortion drug case
- Redmond HIV case could be thrown out under Fla. law
- SAO drops grand theft charge against fmr. commissioner
- APNewsBreak: Fla. congressman lost $18M in scheme