|Published:||Jun 27, 2013 12:22 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 27, 2013 12:48 PM EDT|
BONITA SPRINGS, Fla. - The Lee County Sheriff's Office has identified the man who drowned in Bonita Springs last night as 30-year-old George Fickey.
Deputies responded to a medical emergency call on the 27000 block of Patrick St., where they met with a witness who told them Fickey was swimming in the canal when he went under to unhook a fishing line. He had been under for a couple of minutes and had not surfaced. Two witnesses jumped into the water to try and find him, with no luck.
The witness said Fickey was swimming in the pool while the rest of the family was by the canal. A fishing line had gotten stuck, and Fickey said he could free it for them. He jumped into the water where he remained until firefighters were able to locate him.
Witnesses said Fickey had been drinking, and was known to play tricks on people. They thought he was fooling around until they were unable to find him.
Bonita firefighters arrived shortly after the deputies, and found Fickey 10 feet out from where he had jumped in. They pulled in out and began medical treatment. Fickey was transported to North Collier Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 8:12 p.m.
LCSO says an autopsy will be performed to determine exact cause of death.
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Cape city workers find small mobile meth lab in the woods
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case
- Officials: 35 pilot whales moving in deeper water
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- JetBlue Airways opens flight route to Haiti