|Published:||Jun 25, 2013 5:37 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 25, 2013 6:40 PM EDT|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. - "Well if you're coming down to visit, you would want to know where to get off on I-75," said Commissioner Donna Fiala.
Collier County Commissioner Donna Fiala said he never realized East Naples was missing from any state signs.
"Let me tell you, I've lived here 39 years and I never noticed. I guess you get so used to seeing things the way they are, you never realize that's something's missing."
East Naples-Golden Gate Fire Chief, Kingman Schudlt, not only pointed it out to Fiala, but he also wants to change it.
"It really kind of bothered me and I want to make sure the citizens of East Naples are proud of where they live and work," said Chief Schuldt.
And Commissioner Fiala said the area has a lot to brag about.
"Right now, we're hot - we are really in the process of upgrading and improving our community, we've got new developments going on. And the most beautiful environmentally sensitive lands around," said Commissioner Fiala.
But they can't advertise the area on the signs off I-75 because East Naples isn't on the map, literally. You won't find it on the Florida Destination Map.
"Right now, it just says Marco and Naples, there's nothing that indicates that East Naples is in between them," said Commissioner Fiala.
Collier County has asked the state to change that. The Florida Department of Transportation has to adjust the map before East Naples can be added to the signs.
"It's home, it's where everybody is," said Chief Schuldt.
"If the community of 96,000 people isn't even mentioned on the boards, how would you know to even investigate that area?" said Commissioner Fiala.
Fiala hopes to get East Naples on maps and signs by the end of the year.
- Woman at center of infamous killing set free
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- So. Fla. US Rep. Garcia joins 24 immigration fast
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- Deputies arrest student accused of bringing knife to school