|Published:||Jun 24, 2013 10:33 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 25, 2013 10:19 AM EDT|
LEHIGH ACRES, Fla. - A 2-year-old boy is dead after deputies say he was found in a pool at his daycare.
It happened at the Smith Family Day Care in Lehigh Acres around 2:00 pm. Monday afternoon.
"It's a tragedy. My heart goes out to the parents," said neighbor "BJ."
"BJ" knows the lady who lives in the Smith Family Daycare home.
"She is always waving and speaking and stuff like this here so all I know is she is very nice," she said.
But Monday afternoon a 2 year old boy never made it home from the daycare.
Deputies say around two thirty they received a call about a possible drowning. They say the two year old boy was found in a pool.
One neighbor raced next door to perform CPR on the child until EMS arrived then the boy was rushed to Lehigh Regional where he was pronounced dead.
Parents quickly came to pick up their children.
Neighbors say the only pool the daycare has is this kiddie pool in the backyard.
The daycare renewed it's license with the Florida Department of Children and Families just a few weeks ago.
It shows Melissa Smith as the owner of the daycare and passed all the requirements like 30 hours of training and an annual health and safety home inspection.
DCF says there was one past investigation in to the daycare but was dropped.
The child has been identified as Christian L. Byrd of Lehigh Acres.
The medical examiner is performing an autopsy.
- An iconic ship gets a chance to set sail on a new voyage
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- Holiday event fundraises for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Panther found dead of suspected gunshot wound
- 2 dead after shooting at Miami barbershop
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash
- Man who gave abortion drug to be sentenced
- Report: Access to voting in Fla. varies by county
- Attendance up at 2013 Art Basel in Miami Beach