|Published:||Jun 22, 2013 5:18 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 22, 2013 5:38 PM EDT|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a registered sex offender is charged with murder in the death of a Florida girl abducted while shopping with her mother.
Mike Williams of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said Saturday that Donald James Smith befriended 8-year-old Charish Perriwinkle and her mother Friday night at a dollar store and offered to buy them clothes at Wal-Mart.
Williams says Smith took them to Wal-Mart, then told the mother he would buy them a snack at the front of the store. Instead, authorities say Smith walked out with Charish.
A tip led investigators to a wooded area where they found Charish's body Saturday morning.
Williams says Smith was released from jail May 31 and met with police Friday morning when officers visited to check his address, as required by state law.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- 3 Miami-Dade officers shot, 2 suspects killed
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'