|Published:||Jun 22, 2013 11:41 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 22, 2013 11:41 PM EDT|
PALMETTO, Fla. - The Manatee County Sheriff's Office reports a child was found dead Saturday after being left inside a car for three hours. They say the family is from Lehigh Acres and was in town for a funeral.
At approximately 4:20 p.m., deputies responded to a report of an unresponsive child at a residence in the 2700 block of 5th Ave. E. In Palmetto. EMS also responded and pronounced the 3-year-old child, 3 year old deceased.
Detectives responded and determined that the child was left in a vehicle for approximately three hours while family members attended a funeral. The mother and father of the victim drove separate cars to the babysitter's to drop off their children before they went to the funeral.
It appears the victim was accidentally left in the car while the other children (ages 4 and 5) went in the residence of the babysitter. The parents left for the funeral thinking all the children were in the residence. When they returned from the funeral hours later, they discovered the child in the vehicle and called 911.
An autopsy will be performed on Monday to determine the cause of death. The investigation continues and, at this time, no one has been charged.
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- 2 die in South Florida motorcycle crash
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- An iconic ship gets a chance to set sail on a new voyage
- Post Office offers help on Sundays
- Man catches dog thief in the act
- Ft. Myers woman reflects on Mandela, growing up in S. Africa
- Edcational app making the grade in Lee County Schools
- Garrod Drywall burglary suspect blacks out cameras