|Published:||Jun 18, 2013 6:12 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Jun 18, 2013 5:43 PM EDT|
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - While investigating an early morning house fire in Port Charlotte where a woman reported a burglary and aggravated assault, members of the State Fire Marshal’s Office and the Sheriff’s Office found a body in the garage of the burned house.
At about 2:47 am, the Sheriff’s Office received a call from Cynthia Wofford of 725 Riviera Lane in Port Charlotte in which she said Donald Hierspiel, 51, someone she knew, had broken into her home while carrying a firearm and threatened her. She said she managed to get out of the house and go to a neighbor’s house.
When deputies arrived, they found smoke and flames coming from the house. After checking to make sure it was safe, the Fire Department was allowed into the area and extinguished the fire. The State Fire Marshal was called in to investigate the house fire while detectives began investigating the armed burglary and aggravated assault charges.
Shortly before 10 am, investigators from the Fire Marshal’s Office and the Sheriff’s Office located the body of a white male in the garage of the burned-out house. The Medical Examiner’s Office was also called in.
At this point, no further information is available for release. The investigation into this case is continuing.
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Alamo gun range set to open in February in Naples
- Toddler apparently drowned in canal
- Woman charged with DUI, crashing into school bus
- Grace Church's worm farms help students with special needs
- New marina, dry boat storage facility in Cape Coral